Thursday, May 17, 2012

Run Through (Sly #4 by BOI CHIPS)


As you can see, I start off by placing a few simple clips in the beginning. I usually start with a beat in the beginning so that in the case I decide to DJ with the song I can easily match the beats with the song before it and fade into this one. After that I sort of feel my way through. In this case I decided to go beat-less shortly after the beginning of the song and build up to another beat. After I make a simple layout which works pretty well and play with effects as I go. I then listen to the songs and focus on what I can improve, this allows me to isolate certain sounds without distraction. From here I edit parts individually until it sounds decent. For my song, A New Look, I spent a LOT of time doing this, unfortunately it's hard to appreciate all that work unless you really focus on those parts. For me it's easy listening to certain sounds because I made those sounds and I know what to look for. When I listen to other songs I almost never listen for those things and honestly it's almost frustrating because I'll never really know what my songs sound like when other people first here them.

About this song. It's a basic house song and I have to say, it sounds pretty bad without bass friendly speakers or headphones. Again, using what I said before about the differences between what I can hear and what others can, it bugs me that the bass doesn't always work in this song but I like the parts that are decently groovy. Overall, it's a decent song, whether or not it's a Blacklight dance worthy song is another matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment